We seek to create a world in which housing in contemporary urban environments is built to support well-being, community and liveability.
Quality and well-designed housing is critical to securing individual and collective well-being, economic progress and ultimately social prosperity in urban environments.
The Nightingale Model
Nightingale supports, educates and advocates for the delivery of designer led multi-residential housing which considers at its core: social health; economic resilience; and environmental sustainability.
Our cities and their inhabitants deserve beautiful, well-built and well-sized homes designed for real life. At present, the market is not delivering this and as long as the current formula remains profitable, there is no incentive to raise the bar on the status quo.
We catalyse industry change through creating demonstrative projects that are fairly and transparently priced, designed for people, community and the environment. We want to redefine the meaning and quality of city life by establishing a development model that is easily replicated and benefits the communities in which they are located.
We use a deliberative development model where the purchasers (the future residents) have agency in decision-making. For too long our cities have developed based on financial interest rather than human well-being.
How We Work
Nightingale Housing is a social enterprise that supports, promotes and advocates for adequate housing that fosters environmental and social sustainability and strengthens communities.
By way of material reduction, we seek to implement an ideology of simplicity. We envision an architecture governed by humanity and functionality - buildings that satisfy fundamental needs complemented by the beauty of architectural delight.
- Advance environmental sustainability through design (including sustainable transport options).
- Design for social connection, connection to services and community management.
- Contribute positively to neighbourhoods and urban culture through quality urban design.
- Promote affordability by providing access to housing purchase at cost.
- Minimise the on-going costs of living in the housing through design.
- Educate designers, potential home owners and the public in deliberative development and sustainable housing models.
- Collaborate with groups of purchasers in cooperative, syndicate or collective planning and participation.
Nightingale Housing currently has four projects in progress, all being undertaken by award winning architects who are highly regarded leaders in the design industry.
The Commons, completed in 2013, is the foundation building from which the Nightingale Model emerged.
If you're interested in:
- living in a Nightingale Model building
- are a land owner interested in responsible development
- are an architect with a vision for designing high quality multi residential housing
- are interested in investing in a Nightingale project, or
- are interested in sponsoring Nightingale Housing
register your details to receive more information and stay up to date with the status of Nightingale projects.